Local historian and retired Ledger-Enquirer editorial page editor Billy Winn is the keynote speaker for the 10th annual Chattahoochee Valley Writers Conference this weekend.
Friday, Sept. 23, the Rothschild-Pound House Inn, 201 7th St., will host a reception for registered participants from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Then at 7 p.m. in the Columbus Public Library, 3000 Macon Road, a poetry reading, free and open to the public, will feature the work of poets Michael Diebert and Dan Veach.
Saturday, Sept. 24, the conference will be in the St. Mark United Methodist Church activity center, 6795 Whitesville Road, from 8 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Here is the schedule:
▪ 8 to 8:50 a.m. — coffee and registration.
▪ 9 to 10 a.m. — opening session and keynote address from Winn, who has written books about Native American culture and histories of the Columbus Museum, St. Luke United Methodist Church and Westville. He is a recipient of the Georgia Governor’s Award in Humanities.
▪ 10:10 to 11:20 a.m. — Session 1: University of Mobile assistant professor of art Megan Cary on creating a Web presence for your book; Chattahoochee Review poetry editor Michael Diebert on repurposing, the art and craft of poetic salvage; author Brenda Sutton Rose on the archaeology of a memoir, one memory at a time.
▪ 11:30 a.m. to noon — lunch.
▪ Noon to 12:30 p.m. — open forum.
▪ 12:40 to 1:50 p.m. — Session 2: Screenplay writer, director and producer Ty Manns on screenplay, characters first; Atlanta Review founder Dan Veach on both sides now, a poet and editor talks about writing and publishing.
▪ 2 to 3:10 p.m. — Session 3: Columbus Artists’ Guild president Rob St. Clair on teaching writing skills to children and teens; author Michael Bishop on writing fantasy and science fiction, for amusement, art and emolument.
▪ 3:15 to 3:45 p.m. — Closing session.
“Whether you are an aspiring or published writer, poet, scriptwriter, playwright or blogger, this conference will inspire you and guide you,” according to the conference news release.
The cost to attend the conference is $65 for regular admission, $40 for military and $25 for students. Register online at www.chattwriters.org or in person during Friday’s reception. For more information, call Chattahoochee Valley Writers Association president Elaine Johnson at 706-662-2696.