Local

Fire heavily damages house

A house at 6356 Newick Drive was heavily damaged by fire, smoke and water after a child playing with a lighter apparently dropped the lighter on the bed and it fell on the floor, igniting the mattress in a bedroom.

Chief Fire Marshall Greg Lang with Columbus Fire & EMS said Friday the call came in from a resident at 4:54 p.m. Thursday and that firefighters had the blaze in the brick veneer house under control quickly. No one was injured.

Damages were estimated at $50,000 to the structure and $20,000 to the contents, he said.

  Comments