Local

Fire damages Midland Road home

A fire in a residence at 7048 Midland Road caused an estimated $75,000 damage to the structure and $30,000 to the contents Thursday evening.

The fire started near the living room fireplace and a sofa, but the fireplace was not in use at the time, said Columbus Fire and Emergency Medical Services Deputy Chief Greg Lang.

Owner Jerry Davis told a fire investigator that when he arrived home shortly after 4 p.m. Thursday, he smelled smoke and called for assistance, Lang said.

When firefighters arrived, they discovered the fire smouldering in the floor of the living roof. Lang said the fire was extinguished quickly and was limited to the living room area. He said the brick veneer house was only a few years old. The house was valued at about $180,000.

Cause of the fire is still undetermined, Lang said. No one was injured.

  Comments