Local

Unattended stove sparks house fire

A resident of 335 Tennant Ave. told firefighters that she was cooking and left the stove unattended when fire damaged the house Tuesday evening.

Shantese Clay apparently tried to extinguish the fire by using water, which is not advised, but helped keep kitchen cabinets wet and the fire from spreading, said Chief Fire Marshal Thomas Streeter with Columbus Fire & Emergency Medical Services.

The agency received a call at 7:47 p.m. to the house fire and quickly extinguished it, said Streeter. No injuries were reported.

The structure sustained about $5,000 damage and the contents, $500, Streeter said.

The house is owned by Chris Phillips.

  Comments