A fire that damaged an apartment bathroom on Victory Drive early Tuesday is being credited to careless use of a candle.
Columbus Fire and Emergency Medical Services received the call to 3551 Victory Drive, Apartment 308B, about 1:06 a.m., said Chief Fire Marshal Thomas Streeter. When firefighters arrived, they discovered that a candle had been lit and left on in the bathroom and that alcohol from a container left on a shelf above had dripped onto the candle, helping ignite it.
Resident Latoya Williams told a fire investigator that she left the apartment about 10:30 p.m. and that when she came back, she found the door cracked, went to the back and discovered the fire in the bathroom, Streeter said. He said the fire was restricted to the apartment bathroom and was extinguished quickly.
Streeter said the apartments are owned by McCorley Realty of Columbus. He estimated damages at $5,000 to the building and $500 to the contents.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
"She probably will be able to move back in in a couple of days, after sheetrock work and repainting," he said.