Seven physicians from The Hughston Clinic P.C. have officially purchased Summit Hospital and renamed it Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital, hospital officials announced Thursday.
The surgeons now own 90 percent of the Phenix City hospital — purchased for $47.7 million — while Nashville, Tenn.-based Ameris Health Systems LLC owns the remaining 10 percent.
"We have desired a relationship with a hospital where we can make managerial decisions to better serve the needs of our patients," Dr. Carlton Savory said in a statement. "This is an exciting time for Hughston and the community."
Savory, an orthopedic surgeon, is part of the Hughston Clinic group that owns the Phenix City hospital. The group includes James McGrory, Lyle Norwood, Patrick Fernicola, Thomas Bernard Jr., Glenn Terry and Ken Burkus — the group's newest addition.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Savory said the group will not be leaving the hospitals and communities where they currently practice. Rather, Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital — which will serve as a general hospital — will give them another place to work out of.
Officials also announced the Phenix City hospital's new chief executive officer: James L. Matney, former CEO of the 60-bed Valley View Medical Center in Arizona.
Matney said there will be several changes to the hospital, including: •Expansion of operating rooms from four to six •Hospital floor dedicated to orthopedics and physical therapy •New benefits structure that will reduce employee health care costs by about 50 percent
Read Friday's Ledger-Enquirer for more on this story.