Four-year-old boy plus cigarette lighter equals $12,000 damage to house.
That's what happened at 2823 Colorado St. Monday evening.
Jacqueline Doggins' 4-year-old was playing in bed with a cigarette lighter when he set the bed afire, Chief Fire Marshal Thomas Streeter with Columbus Fire & Emergency Medical Services reported Tuesday. The call came in at 7:14 p.m.
When firefighters arrived, they found smoke pouring from the first bedroom window, Streeter said. He said no one was injured and that firefighters had the blaze contained in about 10 minutes.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Damages were estimated at $10,000 to the structure and $2,000 to the contents, with the fire contained to the bedroom. The rest of the house had mostly smoke damage, Streeter said.
He said Doggins and her children stayed with her parents Monday night.