Chattahoochee County High School students are apparently first with the verse.
Four of five award-winners at Thursday night's "SLAM: Art Speaks" at the Columbus Museum went to the school. It was seventh annual competition. The only winner outside the school was perennial poetry champ Zaakirah Bilal, a Jordan High School senior who took second place in her final year to compete.
To compete, area high school students pick pieces of art at the museum that inspire them, then write and perform a poem live for an audience, including judges, while a photo of the artwork is displayed behind them.
This year's winners:
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Ledger-Enquirer
• 1st place: Jasmine Sims, Chattahoochee County High School
• 2nd place: Zaakirah Bilal, Jordan High School
• 3rd place: Brittany Czekalski, Chattahoochee County High School
• 4th place: Felicia Adams, Chattahoochee County High School
• Honorable Mention: Jarvis Cooper, Chattahoochee County High School