Firefighters in LaGRange, Ga., responded to a call Sunday about a fire at 301 Margarite Street Apt B at 8:07 p.m.
A LaGrange police officer arrived on the scene first and attempted to out the kitchen fire with an extinguisher. The fire department arrived and saw smoke coming out the front of the structure.
The fire was under control in 20 minutes.
The fire was contained to the kitchen area. The living room and dining room suffered water damage.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Ledger-Enquirer
The total damage was estimated at $20,0000.
The occupant Shanesha Nixon told firefighters she had left her home with food warming on the stove.