A cabinet business on Brown Avenue caught fire Thursday morning, sending a thick column of smoke visible from miles.
The fire at Cabinet Supply Inc. at 709 Brown Ave. started shortly after 11 a.m. when two workers were scraping walls using paint thinner. The scraper caused a spark, which ignited, according to Columbus Fire Marshal Thomas Streeter.
At noon, the fire was still not under control. There were at least five trucks responding from the Columbus Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department. The fire was next to The Kingdom Church and several residences. Firefighters were in position next to the homes in case the fire spread.
The workers in the building were able to escape before the fire spread. No injuries were reported.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The cabinet company had three buildings. At least two of them were on fire.