A Columbus woman suffered burns over 90 percent of her body in a house fire on Mason Drive Wednesday night, said deputy fire chief Greg Lang.
The blaze began about 8:30 p.m. in the living room of the 48A Mason Drive home possibly from smoking materials left unattended, Lang said. Four fire units and one ambulance responded to the address. Inside, firefighters found 46-year-old Carol Narquez in the bathroom slumped over the tub. The water was running, Lang said.
Firefighters pulled the woman from the burning structure. She was transported to The Medical Center then airlifted to the Augusta, Ga., Burn Center.
Narquez had recently been evicted from the residence, but was still living there alone, Lang said.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The house was valued at approximately $50,000. The fire caused about $15,000 in damage, Lang said.