Sanford Bishop now cancer free

Congressman Sanford Bishop announced Thursday that he is cancer free.

Bishop, 66, who is in his 11th term of representing Georgia’s Second Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives, noticed a small lump in his neck during the summer and was diagnosed with cancer in his neck and throat in September 2013. He began receiving chemotherapy on Sept. 26.

According to an official statement released by Bishop’s office, that chemotherapy ended Nov.4. It was designed to dissolve and kill cancer cells so that the surgery to follow would require the removal of significantly less tissue from his neck and throat.

Doctors at George Washington University had found no cancer in other parts of Bishop’s body.

“During this process, thanks to great cooperation among my medical team at the Attending Physician's Office at the Capitol, the George Washington University Hospital medical team in Washington, and our great Congressional staff, this was accomplished without my having to miss a single vote or major event during this phase of my treatment. In fact, The Congressional Military Family Summit, a major event hosted by our Congressional office at The National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center in Columbus, Georgia on November 6th, went forward with my full participation and was without question one of the best events we have produced.” Bishop said in his official statement

“My surgery was scheduled for November 26th during the Congressional Thanksgiving Recess in order to minimize the inevitable down-time from hospitalization,” Bishop said. “Dr. Nader Sadeghi, Professor of Surgery and Director of Head and Neck Surgery at George Washington University Hospital, performed the surgery which lasted more than 8 hours. He removed the primary tumor from the back of my mouth and removed 91 lymph nodes from both sides of my neck. The surgery was successful and without any complications and four days later I was discharged from the hospital to recuperate at home. I missed only two weeks of votes in the House of Representatives, the final two weeks before adjournment in December.

“Analysis of the tissue removed during surgery revealed that the chemotherapy had successfully destroyed the cancer cells and that I am now cancer free with no need for further treatment. Only periodic monitoring on a declining basis over the next 5 years will be required. To God be the glory.”

Bishop, said he is back at work and that he and his wife Vivian Creighton Bishop, who serves as the clerk of the Municipal Clerk of Columbus, thank people for their prayers and support.

Bishop was first elected to Congress in 1992. His district covers 29 middle and southwest Georgia counties including part of Muscogee.

He served from 1977-1990 in the Georgia House of Representatives and from 1991-1992 was in the Georgia Senate.