Local

Columbus fire officials determine cause of Goodwind Drive house fire

Sarah Robinson

srobinson@ledger-enquirer.com

Columbus Fire & EMS said it was unattended food left on the stove that led to Wednesday's accidental house fire in 6200 block of Goodwind Drive.

Firefighters responded to the incident around 6:57 p.m. Wednesday and extinguished the fire without injuries. The fire caused significant damage to the one-story wood-frame home, which is about 1,700 square feet, the department stated on its Facebook page.

The American Red Cross also responded to the scene to assist those affected.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, unattended cooking was by far the leading contributing factor in home cooking fires between 2009 and 2013, with 66 percent of those fires starting with the ignition of food or other cooking materials.

Within those same four years, ranges or cooktops accounted for 61 percent of home cooking fire incidents while the ovens accounted for 13 percent, NFPA added.

— Sarah is a crime and safety reporter at The Ledger-Enquirer. You can contact her on Twitter at @SarahR_92.

  Comments