Columbus Fire Marshal Ricky Shores said officials battled two separate fires Tuesday morning on Knox Street and 17th Street.
One person sustained minor grease Burns in the Knox Street residence. His current condition wasn’t immediately made available.
Shores said the first incident happened around 7:19 a.m. at a duplex in the 1700 block of 17th Street. The resident wasn’t home when poorly discarded smoking material left burning on the couch sparked flames, causing minor smoke and fire damage, Shores said.
About three hours later, a kitchen fire erupted at a Knox Street residence after food was left on the stove. It was contained to the stove top, but the resident did receive minor grease burns while trying to extinguish the fire himself. The home also had minor damage, Shores said.