Columbus homicide update: Police investigate late Friday shooting death

Edgar Taylor of Columbus was ordered held without bond in a fatal shooting late Friday in the East Wynnton neighborhood.

Taylor, 65, of 956-A Sampson Ave., faces one count each of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime in connection with Elijah Huff’s death. Huff, 48, of Columbus was shot at Taylor’s apartment and taken to The Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 11:32 p.m. Huff’s body has been sent to Atlanta for an autopsy, said Muscogee County Coroner Bill Thrower.

Taylor, who has one leg and uses crutches to get around, pleaded not guilty during a Recorder’s Court hearing Saturday. He was ordered held without bond and the case was bound over to Superior Court. Huff’s death was the second murder reported on Friday and the third slaying in Columbus since Monday.

Lester Holloway, a friend of Taylor for more than 30 years, said he was standing on the corner of Samson and Colorado Street late Friday when he heard one shot from Taylor’s apartment. He later learned that Huff was the victim.

Everybody knew Taylor as “Clyde,” a man who kept to himself, Holloway said. The two may have been arguing over money Taylor had loaned Huff, Holloway said.

“I guess the man was defending himself because he was handicapped anyway,” Holloway said. “The guy came over about two or three times messing with him. He owed Clyde some money. I knew of Elijah in the streets. He liked to try and bully his way around.”

Holloway also noted that Huff was much bigger than the disabled Taylor. He too encountered Huff on one occasion in a dispute.

“He had growled up at me at the same house,” Holloway said. “He called me a bunch of names and I just looked at him. If he had came toward me, I would have done the same thing Clyde did.”

James Lovett, Taylor’s landlord, said Taylor had lived in the apartment for about six years. Lovett was at the scene Saturday boarding up the doors to keep thieves out. “He was an alright dude,” Lovett said of Taylor.

After the shooting, Holloway said police blocked the short street with yellow tape between 10th and Colorado streets to investigate the shooting.

Police did not return calls seeking comment on the investigation.