Crime

Columbus apartment damaged in grease fire

A frying pan left unattended on a stove was blamed in a fire that damaged a unit at Avalon Apartments on Cusseta Road, Columbus police said.

No one was injured in the 8:40 p.m. fire at 3737 Cusseta Road but the apartment had water damage from the sprinkler system that activated to douse the fire.

Officer Antonio Burgess was working security at the apartment when he heard a fire alarm going off. The officer found smoke coming from the structure but no flames inside the apartment.

A woman who lives at the apartment told police the sprinkler activated after a flaming frying pan was tossed in the sink. The kitchen had extensive water damage.

  Comments