DA evaluating murder case against felon connected to five homicides

The 2011 murder charge against convicted felon Antonio Darcet King is being evaluated, Russell County District Attorney Kenneth Davis said Thursday.

King was out on bond for the homicide of Timothy Turman and wearing a GPS ankle monitor when police say he played a part in the Feb. 19 shooting death of his nephew, Sayquawn Lamer Wiggins, who died from multiple gunshot wounds in the cemetery of New Hope Baptist Church in Cottonton, Ala.

Russell County Sheriff Heath Taylor said in February he believed the shooting was drug related.

Davis said King, who was charged with capital murder, possession of cocaine and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon in Wiggins’ shooting death, could be tried for those charges before the trial for the 2011 homicide.

“The chief investigating officer of that case is deceased,” Davis said. “That case depends on a number of things. We’re evaluating it.”

According to court records, Sgt. Daniel Davis was the lead investigator. He died Nov. 10 when he accidentally shot himself in the leg and suffered massive blood loss, according to the coroner.

Ryan DeSean Brown, 23, also faces multiple murder charges in connection with Turman’s 2011 death and the February shooting. Davis said in February that Brown was also wearing an ankle monitor.

Santiago Montrell Davis, 32, who police say was also Wiggins’ uncle, is the third man charged with capital murder in Wiggins’ death.

Davis said his office decides if suspects will be charged with capital murder if the “factual basis fits the 18 provisions provided by law,” which includes murder by the defendant during a robbery.

Another factor taken into consideration is the person’s background.

“We think about what and who we are talking about here,” Davis said. “Is this their first occasion they’re involved with the law or many times? What’s their background, criminal history?”

King fit that bill, Davis said.

If convicted, an Alabama jury would decide if King would face the death penalty; however, a judge can override the jury’s decision.

King will likely face a grand jury in August, Davis said. There’s a preliminary hearing scheduled for Sept. 2 in District Court Judge David Johnson’s courtroom.

King’s bond for the 2011 homicide was revoked when he was charged in connection with Wiggins’ death. His request in May for a judge to set a $50,000 bond was quickly denied.

He is represented by Jon Carlton Taylor of Montgomery, Ala.

Previous homicides

In addition to the two murder charges King currently faces, he’s been connected to three previous homicides, according to authorities and court records.

In 1994, King was arrested and charged with the 1992 homicide of Al Jacobs, with whom he argued over a $10 debt, according to Ledger-Enquirer archives. The jury in that trial deadlocked the first go-around before King later pleaded guilty to lesser charges of attempted assault in the first degree and possession of cocaine.

King was sentenced to 15 years in 1996. It’s unclear how much time he served.

Four years later, King was again charged with murder — this time in Georgia, in connection with the slaying of Norman Long, a drug dealer who was shot to death in front of a Booker T. Washington apartment, according to records.

Before that case went to trial, King was charged in another homicide. Stacey Jackson, an assistant district attorney at the time, said King was not the gunman in the 2001 murder of Shareff Lewis, 23.

The charges of murder and possession of a firearm during a crime were dismissed, but King admitted he helped dump the body and clean the car involved in the shooting, according to records.

After two trials for Long’s murder, the first ending in mistrial, King and the state came to a plea bargain in 2004 in connection with both Muscogee County slayings (his plea for Lewis’ death was merged). King pled guilty to involuntary manslaughter, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and concealing the death of another and was sentenced to eight years.

He was released from a Georgia state prison Dec. 13, 2008, according to the Georgia Department of Corrections website.

A little more than two years later, police said he killed Turman in Phenix City. King wasn’t arrested until May 2013 but was released on $1 million bond on June 25, 2013.

According to Alabama court documents, King has been charged with over 30 crimes — but has only been convicted or pleaded guilty to four of them.