Court: Parents caused brain, spinal cord damage in Phenix City toddler

Phenix City police are still piecing together how Eric Reginald Jordan and Megan Dawson allegedly caused spinal cord and brain damage to a 19-month-old child in their care, officials said Monday.

Capt. Frank Ivey said the boy's mother, 24-year-old Dawson, called an ambulance to transport the child to Jack Houston Memorial Hospital around May 28.

Medical officials later determined that some of the boy's injuries were older than his admittance date, however. According to court documents, the parents are charged with "striking the child in such a manner which caused brain damage, spinal damage, four fractured ribs (and) burst pancreas and intestines."

Investigators are unsure whether Dawson and 24-year-old Jordan both contributed to the child's injuries. Jordan was acting as a guardian to the child, according to court documents.

Because of the age of the injuries, police are trying to determine how long the abuse took place and what methods the parents allegedly used, Ivey said.

The 19 month old has gone through several hospital transfers since he was first admitted to Jack Hughston, Ivey said. He was first taken to Midtown Medical Center before being transported to a hospital in Atlanta. He is presently receiving treatment at Children's of Alabama.

Hospital officials declined to release the child's status Monday afternoon.

Police arrested Jordan on June 4, according to the Russell County Jail. Dawson was jailed two days later. Both have been charged with felony willful child abuse.

Dawson has since been released on a $100,000 bond. Jordan's bond was set at $250,000.

On July 18, Jordan submitted a request to the Russell County Circuit Court for his bond to be lowered. In the request, he stated that he has lost his "job, his place of living, my personal trainer business and (his) children."

"Please. Please grant me this request. I can't fight for my kids and my freedom setting (sic) inside a jail. I've never been in trouble before all of this and I hope that you can help me in anyway (sic)," he wrote.

District Attorney Ken Davis declined comment on the case Friday afternoon. A hearing date for both defendants has not yet been set.