Seale, Ala., woman may have died from smoke inhalation in house fire

An 85-year-old woman whose home burned in Seale, Ala., on Tuesday appears to have died of smoke inhalation, an official said Thursday.

Correan Carter was pronounced dead at Midtown Medical Center in Columbus at 8:07 a.m., said Russell County Coroner Arthur Sumbry Jr. Her body was sent to the Department of Forensic Sciences in Montgomery for an autopsy but results aren’t completed.

Carter is the first fire death reported in Russell County this year. She didn’t appear to have sustained burns in the fire.

The coroner said the fire remains under investigation by the Alabama fire marshal.