U.S. Marshals arrest home invasion suspect after finding weapons, ammo

The U.S. Marshals Service found four guns and more than 310 rounds of loose ammunition Tuesday in a 10th Street home while executing arrest warrants for a convicted felon, according to Columbus police.

The federal agency discovered the weapons while serving multiple arrests warrants against 23-year-old Jaquan Vanburen that include home invasion, false report and probation violation charges, Columbus Police Sgt. Lance Deaton said.

In Recorder’s Court Thursday, Vanburen pleaded not guilty to possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, theft by receiving stolen property and giving a false report.

The weapon and theft charges stem from Tuesday’s incident, and the false report charge is the result of a March 27 offense that ultimately led local officials to the 10th Street home, Deaton said.

Judge Michael Cielinski placed Vanburen in the Muscogee County Jail under bonds totaling $50,500.

Deaton said police were called to Midtown Medical Center Feb. 27 in reference to a gunshot victim that was dropped off at the hospital around 11 p.m. Police later learned Vanburen was the victim.

When asked about the incident, Vanburen allegedly told police that someone shot him during a Phenix City house party on Williams Road.

“First off, the report that he filed made absolutely no sense, because he claimed he got shot on Williams Road over a party and we got no calls out there,” Deaton said after the hearing. “In the area he claimed (it happened), there is no where to have a party at.”

The officer went on to mention a second clue that led police to believe the report wasn’t accurate, and Vanburen may have been one of at least two involved in a home invasion that happened in Phenix City on Feb. 27.

“The second thing is he had a vehicle that dropped him off, and it matched the description of a vehicle that fled the scene from Phenix City,” Deaton said. “That’s a vehicle we had been looking for, because it had been stolen and used in some other crimes.”

The Phenix City Police Department and the Columbus Police Department collaborated on the home invasion investigation.

The agencies learned that Vanburen may have tried to force the door of the Phenix City home open as the victim inside pushed the door close. Armed with an AKA47, the other offender tried to shoot at the victim but ended up shooting his accomplice in the right arm, Deaton said.

Several days into the investigation, U.S. Marshals spoke to individuals close to the suspect that informed officials that Vanburen lived in a home in the 3200 block of 10th Street.

U.S. Marshals and local officials visited the area and surrounded the dwelling. That’s when Vanburen allegedly attempted to escape through one window, ran back into the house and tried to leave the home through a second window.

Officials stormed the 10th Street home, Deaton testified.

They reportedly found four guns, including a Russian rifle and Glock, in the bedroom where they apprehended Vanburen. Two of the shotguns where in the closet and the others were in “plain view,” Deaton said.

Deaton told the court that at least one of the weapons was loaded at the time, and one was stolen in 1995.

Deaton said he’s not sure how many people were in the 10th Street home during the arrest, but none of the occupants claimed any of the guns as their own. Vanburen’s family reportedly told police that the suspect owned all of the firearms.

Vanburen was out on bond for an armed robbery, aggravated assault and three other firearm-related charges during the arrest.

It’s unclear if the other home invader has been identified or arrested.