Police charge man who reportedly assaulted his ex-girlfriend

Police have apprehended the Columbus man they believe choked, hit and stole from his ex-girlfriend Sunday on Thomas Street, according to reports.

During a Monday Recorder's Court hearing, Jerry Lewis Walton pleaded not guilty to the aggravated assault, burglary and obstruction of a 911 call charges stemming from the 10:11 a.m. incident.

He was placed in the Muscogee County Jail under $15,500 and the condition that he not annoy, harass, or intimidate his victim and avoid her workplace and residence.

The case was bound over to Superior Court.

Columbus Police Officer Amanda Miller said officials were called to the 2900 block of Thomas Street Sunday at about 10:11 a.m.

They met with the 34-year-old, and she informed them that she ended her relationship with Walton about a month ago. She said he was possessive and aggressive toward her, Miller testified.

The victim said Walton used to live with her, but he moved out after they broke up. The woman took the key from Walton after the breakup, Miller said. The woman told police that she woke up at about 7:30 a.m. or 8 a.m. on Sunday to let her two dogs out through the back door so they could relieve themselves. The victim left the door open for maybe 30 minutes, and then locked it once her pets came back inside, Miller said.

Then she got ready and exited her house, leaving her front door locked, Miller said.

When the woman returned at about 10 a.m., she went to her bedroom to search through her closet for a pair of shoes. As she leaned down to grab them, Walton reportedly attacked her, Miller testified.

Walton allegedly hit her in the back of the head, used both hands to grab her by the neck, forced her on the bed and aggressively choked her as he threatened to kill her multiple times, Miller said.

After a struggle, the ex-girlfriend managed to get away from Walton long enough to reach for her cell phone to call 911, but the battery had been removed.

"She stated that she attempted to grab the house phone, but he ripped it from her hands," Miller said. "She told the police that another struggle ensued and several items in the house were knocked over and broken."

Eventually, she was able to run out of the front door and scream for someone to call the police, the officer said.

The woman sustained severe abrasions and red makes on her neck, scratches on her shoulders and head injuries from the assault, but she refused medical treatment, police said. Her hair and clothes were in disarray, but she's in good condition, Miller said.

Walton was accused of stealing his ex-girlfriend's cell phone battery, house keys and car keys, officials said.

Records indicate that the suspect also caused less than $500 worth of property damage.

The victim's neighbor told police that he saw an unknown man sitting on the house porch next to the woman's residence around the time she was letting her dogs out, Miller said.

The neighbor went inside for a short time, and went outside again. By that time, that same man was missing, Miller said.

On Sunday at about 1 p.m., Walton appeared at the Columbus Public Safety Center to speak with the officer who was called to the 2900 block of Thomas Street in response to a dispute.

Miller addressed Walton who had scratches all over his face and neck and a gash next to his swollen left eye. The suspect told the officer that he moved out two weeks ago, and she knew he was entering the home with her.

Walton went on to say that he and the victim entered the home together and later got into a verbal altercation that turned physical. The alleged disagreement was about her cheating on him, he informed police.

Walton repeated made those accusations in court Monday, and added that his clothes are still at her place. Though Miller said she saw no male clothing at the Thomas Street residence aside from a hat.

"I was sitting on the porch waiting for her to get home," Walton said.