Fire officials say no one was injured in an early Tuesday morning Luckie Street fire that heavily damaged a house and burned two vehicles nearby.
Fire Marshal Ricky Shores said that "unattended cook material left on the range top" may have caused of the kitchen fire that overwhelmed the split-level, single-family dwelling and heat-damaged two vehicles. The lone resident was inside of the home asleep in the downstairs bedroom area but had evacuated the area before firefighter arrived on the scene.
"The resident awoke to the smell of smoke," Shores said. "We found no evidence of a working smoke detector in the house."
Firefighters were called to the house fire in the 3000 block of Luckie Street Tuesday at 3:36 a.m., Shores said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Ledger-Enquirer
The fire marshal said the house sustained $80,000 worth of damage, and the two vehicles nearby were also burned.
A description of the two vehicles is not available at this time.
The American Red Cross visited the Luckie Street area to assist the resident with temporary housing, Shores added.