Crime

Two arrested in shooting death at Shirley B. Winston Park; Columbus leaders respond

Two people have been arrested in connection with the August shooting death of a 22-year-old man at a Columbus park, the Columbus Police Department announced at a press conference Tuesday.

CPD Assistant Chief Lance Deaton said 18-year-old Navaris Johnson and 20-year-old JaMorris Baker have been arrested in connection with the Aug. 29 shooting death of 22-year-old Jacarie Charles at Shirley B. Winston Park.

Deaton said Johnson is believed to have been the shooter, while Baker is believed to have supplied the firearm.

A news release from CPD said Johnson is charged with murder, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

Baker is charged with murder and aggravated assault, according to the release.

“The public should have confidence that the two major players in this particular incident are now in custody and off the streets of this city,” Deaton said.

Deaton said the incident was caught on surveillance video.

“The footage shows the shooter approaching the victim, attempting to take his belongings and firing and striking the victim,” Deaton said. The suspect fled with some of the victim’s items, according to Deaton.

Deaton said Johnson was taken into custody in Sumter County and is currently in custody at the Muscogee County jail. Johnson’s Recorder’s Court hearing is set for 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to Deaton.

Baker was arrested in Lee County and is currently in the Russell County Jail awaiting extradition to Columbus, according to Deaton.

Deaton said the case remains under investigation. “There is a possibility that other arrests could be coming.”

Increased security at Shirley B. Winston Park

Shirley B. Winston Park has reopened since the shooting. Deaton said a collaboration between CPD and the Muscogee County Prison has supplied officers to the park during its open hours.

Deaton said last week they began bringing in officers for Saturday special events at the park as well.

District 4 councilor asks for future guardrails

Toyia Tucker, councilor for District 4, home to the park, said she felt relieved following the arrests.

She said she immediately called the park once she saw a Facebook post alerting to something happening at the park.

“You could hear the sheer fear in the voices of those in the area,” Tucker said.

Tucker said there are no guardrails when it comes to carrying weapons inside parks and recreation facilities, which she attributed to state open-carry laws.

“We have children in the facilities, and we need to protect them, and I don’t think we should have the ability to have weapons in those facilities,” Tucker said.

Tucker said the idea for guardrails is on Columbus Council’s agenda for Tuesday night’s meeting.

Tucker thanked Deaton for keeping her updated daily during the investigation and for his role in increasing security in the Shirley B. Winston area.

Parks and Recreation Director responds

Columbus Parks and Recreation Director Holli Browder said, “It’s a tremendous feeling to know that they (the suspects) are no longer in the streets.”

She said the arrests provide confidence to citizens and Parks and Recreation staff. There have been mixed feeling from the staff following the shooting, according to Browder.

She said Parks and Recreation and the city has done everything in their control to give the staff the assistance and resources they need to “go past this.”

Browder said it’s “been huge” having the additional security from CPD and MCP.

“We know it cannot be, at this time, a permanent thing unless council makes a change for us,” Browder said.

Browder said Parks and Recreation will probably ask for more permanent extra security during their budget process.

Mayor and DA respond

Columbus Mayor Skip Henderson said the city provides the recreation centers for young people to enjoy time together, relax and feel safe.

“A vicious attack like this occurring in one of those rec centers is absolutely intolerable,” Henderson said.

Chattahoochee Judicial Circuit District Attorney Don Kelly said his office’s role in the case begins tomorrow.

He said his office met with the Violent Crimes Unit to assess what charges could be brought and who could be charged.

“We feel confident that we have the right people in custody,” Kelly said. “... Our goal is to get this case to trial as quickly as possible and get justice for our community, because this is the kind of crime that really shakes the community.”

This story was originally published September 23, 2025 at 2:07 PM.

Kelby Hutchison
Columbus Ledger-Enquirer
Kelby Hutchison is the breaking news reporter for the Ledger-Enquirer. Originally from Dothan, Alabama, Kelby grew up frequently visiting Columbus to eat at Country’s BBQ in the old Greyhound bus station and at Clearview BBQ on River Road. He graduated from the University of Alabama with a B.A. in criminal justice and a M.A. in journalism. During his studies, Kelby specialized in community journalism.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER