Update: Columbus man charged in fatal wreck released from jail on bond

Ben Wright

Derrick Ingram
Derrick Ingram

Second Update: Ingram was released from the Muscogee County Jail Thursday after posting bonds totaling $9,015.

His bonds were forfeited and the charges were bound over to Superior Court.

Update: Derrick Ingram's preliminary hearing was continued until 2 p.m. Thursday in Recorder's Court, according to a court official.

Original Story: A one-car crash on Woodruff Farm Road early Saturday has left a 25-year-old passenger dead and the driver charged with homicide by vehicle, Columbus police said.

Kevin Foy of Columbus was pronounced dead at Midtown Medical Center at 1:57 a.m., Muscogee County Deputy Coroner Charles Newton said. Foy sustained cuts and bruises in the crash but an autopsy at the state crime lab will be performed on Monday or Tuesday to determine a cause of death.

Shortly after the 1:17 a.m. crash near Branton Lane, police arrested Derrick Ingram, 24, of Columbus. He faces one count each of homicide by vehicle, reckless driving, misdemeanor driving under the influence and leaving the scene of an accident. He is held in the Muscogee County Jail for a 9 a.m. Monday hearing in Recorder’s Court.

Police said Foy was a front seat passenger in the 2000 Chrysler Cirrus when it went out of control, struck a fire hydrant and a large tree. Foy was ejected from the vehicle before it stopped in the parking lot at Fort Middle School at 2900 Woodruff Farm Road.

According to an arrest report, "the amount of energy dissipation indicates speed as a major factor" in the wreck.

 Ingram is accused of leaving the scene of the accident before giving his name and registration to police. Police said he also refused to give required information for striking a fire hydrant and failed to notify police in the quickest manner about the incident.

 When Ingram was located, he was impaired.

-Additional charges for Ingram include duty upon striking a fixture, duty to report an accident with injury, rules for divided roadways and having no seat belt.

 The accident remains under investigation by the Motor Squad Unit of the Columbus Police Department.

Staff writer Sarah Robinson contributed to this report.