Police: Pembrook Court murder suspects were tracked on surveillance cameras

Kyle Nazario

Jeremy Bernard Dixon
Jeremy Bernard Dixon

Police used surveillance video to help identify the suspects in the July 2015 shooting death of Johann Gamble at Pembrook Apartments, according to testimony Thursday in Columbus Recorder’s Court.

Jeremy Bernard Dixon, 27, appeared in court Thursday morning for a preliminary hearing after turning himself in to police Tuesday afternoon at the Public Safety Center. The other suspect in the homicide, 32-year-old Andre Dixon, pleaded not guilty to murder during a hearing on Feb. 12 and was returned to the Muscogee County Jail without bond.

Police said they arrived at Pembrook Apartments on 3807 Pembrook Court around 9:36 p.m. on July 20, 2015, and found Gamble, 38, on the ground suffering from a gunshot wound. He was transported to Midtown Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead at 10:19 p.m.

Formal interviews, statements and recovered surveillance videos, police said, revealed that Gamble had arrived at the apartment complex and was walking to an apartment when Andre Dixon called him over and began to talk to him. The officer said Jeremy Dixon was standing by the driver’s side door of Andre Gamble’s vehicle at that time.

Police said Gamble’s daughters, 12 and 10, left the apartment in the complex where they live to see him. The officer said the girls witnessed Gamble and Andre Dixon verbally argue before Andre Dixon struck Gamble in the face, prompting Gamble to strike him back. Police said when Gamble started to run, Jeremy Dixon shot him.

Police said they received surveillance video from an off-duty officer working at Pembrook Court Apartments, which showed the suspects’ vehicle leaving the scene around 9:35 p.m.

Video from a convenience store at the intersection of Pembrook Drive and Buena Vista Road also showed a dark-colored Marquis traveling south through the intersection around 9:35 p.m., according to court testimony.

Police said they believed the suspects were using a black Ford Crown Victoria, though they did not exclude that it could possibly have been a Mercury Grand Marquis.

Police said Andre Dixon’s wife, Keyona Dixon, told them Jeremy Dixon had been to her apartment earlier in the day in “a Marquis or one of those kinds of cars.”

She also told police that she’d texted Andre Dixon to go to the grocery around 8:48 p.m., according to testimony.

Police said they found surveillance footage from the Winn Dixie at 1100 Hunt Ave. showing Andre and Jeremy Dixon walking into the store at 8:54 p.m. and leaving at 9:08 p.m.

The officer said Jeremy was identified by a distinctive tattoo on his upper left arm.

Police said they located the Marquis and then obtained a warrant to drive it through the route they suspect the Dixons took and found the tapes from their recreation strikingly similar to those from the night of the shooting.

Lastly, police cited Jeremy Dixon’s conviction on May 30, 2006, for possession of marijuana and carrying a weapon in a school safety zone.

Jeremy Dixon has made no statements to the police, according to testimony, and he did not speak in court.

Susan Henderson, Jeremy Dixon’s attorney, clarified with the officer testifying that the only time Jeremy appeared on camera in person was at the Winn Dixie, and he was identified there by his tattoo.

The officer testifying also told her Gamble’s daughters knew Andre Dixon, not Jeremy Dixon.

Judge Michael Cielinski held Jeremy Dixon without bond on the murder charge. He set the bond on the possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon charges at $25,000 each.

The case was bound over to Superior Court.