AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn freshman wide receiver Sammie Coates will undergo surgery on his foot next week and is expected to be out a considerable length of time.
Tigers head coach Gene Chizik confirmed the news after Saturday’s scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Coates had been in a walking boot and on crutches for some time, keeping him out of practice.
“We hope for a very speedy recovery,” Chizik said. “We hope that we can possibly get him back at some point in the year, but we’ll just have ongoing updates and see where that falls.”
The 6-foot-2, 178-pound Coates was one of four wide receivers in the freshman class, along with Jaylon Denson, Quan Bray and C.J. Uzomah.
He was a three-star signee out of Leroy (Ala.) High, a former teammate of quarterback Clint Moseley.
“Sammie was doing excellent,” Chizik said. “He’ll recover well and we’ll monitor his progress.”
Georgia CB commits
Three-star cornerback Jonathan Jones of Carrollton, Ga., said Saturday that he’ll sign with Auburn, giving the Tigers 14 commitments for 2012.
The news comes two days after four-star cornerback Geno Smith picked rival Alabama over Auburn.
The 5-foot-10, 165-pound Jones had Georgia Tech, Mississippi State and Texas Tech among his top choices.
ESPN ranks Jones as the 22nd best cornerback nationally. Scout has him 38th and Rivals 42nd.
Jones is the second cornerback in Auburn’s 2012 class, joining Joshua Holsey of Fairburn, Ga.
Auburn didn’t provide stats or much information from Saturday’s scrimmage, which was open only to certain donors. Still, some details emerged from players and a short video provided by the school:
* Wide receiver Quan Bray, from LaGrange, reportedly had a standout day.
“What I’ll say about that kid is that he’s electric,” safety Demetruce McNeal said. “His eyes are on the end zone every time he touches the ball.”
* Cornerback Jonathon Mincy had an interception for a touchdown on an errant pass by Kiehl Frazier.
* Running back Mike Blakely broke several long runs. The Florida transfer is still waiting to hear back about whether or not he’ll be eligible this season. Auburn’s appeal to the NCAA is pending.
* Running back Anthony Morgan had a touchdown run.
* Although the practice was geared toward younger players, some older players who have been short on reps took part.
Senior tackle A.J. Greene, who missed more than a week with an undisclosed injury, got some work. Linebacker Eltoro Freeman also was in there.