AUBURN, Ala. — It's the middle of the week, so let's get Wednesday started off right by taking a look at some of the other teams in the SEC.
1. LSU head coach Les Miles came away impressed with quarterback Zach Mettenberger's poise in the season opener against TCU.
2. South Carolina has a whopping 25 scholarship players from the state of Georgia. All of them are looking forward to their return to the Peach State this weekend as they take on the Bulldogs in Athens in the SEC opener for both teams.
3. Speaking of Georgia, tailback Todd Gurley said Tuesday that the quad he tweaked against Clemson is fine. He'll be good to go come Saturday, writes Seth Emerson of The Macon Telegraph.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Ledger-Enquirer
4. Alabama head coach Nick Saban was in rare form Tuesday, treating nearly every question in his press conference with irritation in his voice and a pained look on his face. AL.com has the full video of his heated meeting with media members.
5. Auburn commit Tre Williams was back at practice on Monday and should be ready to go Thursday when his school, St. Paul's in Mobile, faces off against Williamson High School in Ladd-Peebles Stadium. Williams, a five-star linebacker prospect, got hurt in last week's game against Fairhope High School and did not return.
6. Tennessee linebacker Curt Maggitt practiced with his teammates Tuesday, which Volunteers head coach Butch Jones called a "significant" step as the junior recovers from offseason ACL surgery. Whether he will play Saturday versus Western Kentucky remains up in the air, but his return gives Tennessee options given his blend of size and speed, which makes him a good candidate to serve in a hybrid linebacker/defensive end role.
7. Hugh Kellenberger charted every play where Ole Miss targeted its own receivers as well as which defenders Vanderbilt picked on in their game last Thursday, which the Rebels won 39-35. A short piece, but there's really good info here. Freshman Laquon Treadwell caught 75 percent (9 of 12) passes thrown his way, an impressive number considering the Rebels have arguably the top receiver in the league in Donte Moncrief.