Ben Davis had an official visit the weekend before national signing day to the plains, but it wasn’t enough to sway the top rated linebacker.
The 6-foot-3, 240-pound senior out of Gordo High School in Alabama stuck to his roots by picking Alabama Wednesday morning.
Davis’ father Wayne Davis is Alabama’s all-time tackling leader.
His decision aired on ESPNU at 10 a.m. with Davis flanked by the school's cheerleaders, surrounded by family and five hats in front of him. The band played Alabama's fight song after Davis made the announcement and his mother flashed a pair of Rolling Tide gloves.
The No. 1 player in the Alabama spoke to network anchor Joe Tessitore following his announcement.
"I had to go with my heart," Davis said. "Alabama is a close to home school. I had to go with my heart you know, my gut."
Auburn wasn’t the only team to lose out on Davis’ services. The 5-star prospect went into national signing day with a top five that also included Georgia, LSU and Notre Dame.
"I just woke up this morning and said I was going to go with what I first wake up with," Davis said of when he made the decision.
The Tigers are thin at the linebacker position with only Tre Threat, one of the team’s nine early enrollees, the only player at the position in the 2016 Class.
Auburn lost Kris Frost, Justin Garrett and Cassanova McKinzy to graduation at the end of the season. They were three of the most experienced defenders on the Tigers’ roster.
- Early enrollee strategy a central part of Auburn’s 2016 recruiting class
- VIDEO: Auburn coach Gus Malzahn discusses special 2016 recruiting class
- Late splash targeting impact positions pushes Auburn’s 2016 recruiting class into top 10
- National signing day surprise as Auburn reels in 5-star DL Derrick Brown
- Auburn’s 2016 receivers bring smile to coach Gus Malzahn’s face
- Defensive back Jayvaughn Myers follows brother’s lead in picking Auburn on national signing day
- Auburn receives biggest commitment of day in 4-star WR Nate Craig-Myers
- Safety Daniel Thomas takes Auburn up on late scholarship offer
- Auburn offers safety Daniel Thomas, offensive lineman Tyler Catalina on signing day
- Auburn misses on 5-star linebacker Ben Davis, Alabama legacy follows in father’s footsteps
- Auburn lands previously undecided OL Prince Sammons
- New Auburn OL Brodarious Hamm has ‘high ceiling’
- Antwuan Jackson’s former coach expects DL to contribute for Auburn as true freshman
- National signing day guide: Additional high-profile recruits would give Auburn plenty to brag about
- Auburn target WR Nate Craig-Myers ready for national spotlight with ESPN announcement
- Dynamic Madison Academy RB Malik Miller ready to build on impressive legacy at Auburn
- Humble verbal commit Nick Coe bringing championship pedigree to Auburn
- Auburn verbal commit Woody Barrett not going to settle for fourth wheel in QB competition
- Long-time Auburn commit Landon Rice on campus with eyes on making immediate impact
- The solution? JUCO transfer John Franklin III ready to push fellow Auburn QBs for starting spot