Auburn took a major step forward in establishing a dominant defensive front on national signing day.
The Tigers closed out national signing day by adding 5-star defensive lineman Derrick Brown to its Class of 2016.
Despite losing defensive coordinator Will Muschamp in the offseason, Auburn managed to land two 5-star recruits on the line with Brown joining Marlon Davidson, 4-star linemen Antwuan Jackson and Nick Coe as well as junior college transfer Paul James III.
Signee Tashawn Manning is also a defensive lineman, but he will sit out 2016 as he recovers from battling Leukemia.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Ledger-Enquirer
Brown picked Auburn over heavy competition from four other SEC schools. The 6-foot-3, 315-pound tackle had Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi State in his final five.
The Lanier senior’s final official visit was to Knoxville the weekend before signing day.
Brown announced his decision on ESPN2, he was the final 5-star player in the country to decide.
"My relationship I developed with the coaching staff is excellent," Brown said. "In just sitting around talking to my parents last night I realized it was the place for me."
Brown point to his bond with coach Gus Malzahn and defensive line coach Rodney Garner as the driving factors in his decision.
He admitted he didn't know Auburn's new defensive cordinator Kevin Steele, but is excited to learn more about what he has planned for the defense.
The addition of Brown to Auburn’s 2016 class could be enough to push the Tigers into the top 10 nationally.
"For the next three to four years its' going to be great to watch Auburn football," Brown said.
- Early enrollee strategy a central part of Auburn’s 2016 recruiting class
- VIDEO: Auburn coach Gus Malzahn discusses special 2016 recruiting class
- Late splash targeting impact positions pushes Auburn’s 2016 recruiting class into top 10
- National signing day surprise as Auburn reels in 5-star DL Derrick Brown
- Auburn’s 2016 receivers bring smile to coach Gus Malzahn’s face
- Defensive back Jayvaughn Myers follows brother’s lead in picking Auburn on national signing day
- Auburn receives biggest commitment of day in 4-star WR Nate Craig-Myers
- Safety Daniel Thomas takes Auburn up on late scholarship offer
- Auburn offers safety Daniel Thomas, offensive lineman Tyler Catalina on signing day
- Auburn misses on 5-star linebacker Ben Davis, Alabama legacy follows in father’s footsteps
- Auburn lands previously undecided OL Prince Sammons
- New Auburn OL Brodarious Hamm has ‘high ceiling’
- Antwuan Jackson’s former coach expects DL to contribute for Auburn as true freshman
- National signing day guide: Additional high-profile recruits would give Auburn plenty to brag about
- Auburn target WR Nate Craig-Myers ready for national spotlight with ESPN announcement
- Dynamic Madison Academy RB Malik Miller ready to build on impressive legacy at Auburn
- Humble verbal commit Nick Coe bringing championship pedigree to Auburn
- Auburn verbal commit Woody Barrett not going to settle for fourth wheel in QB competition
- Long-time Auburn commit Landon Rice on campus with eyes on making immediate impact
- The solution? JUCO transfer John Franklin III ready to push fellow Auburn QBs for starting spot