ATHENS - We'll have more notes, quotes and insight from Mark Richt and players later tonight. But for now, here are the highlights from the media viewing of Georgia's first spring practice:
- As expected, Malcolm Mitchell was working with the cornerbacks. There were no other notable players in the cornerback position group, other than special-teams standout Blake Sailors. Corey Moore is still with the safeties.
- Ray Drew was working with the defensive linemen, confirming that Georgia is looking at him at end. ... But Cornelius Washington was also with the D-lineman. Of course, it's not like it's a drastic move to shift from outside linebacker to end in the 3-4 defense. Richt and Todd Grantham have said they will move a lot of those guys around.
- Chris Conley was out there, which is noteworthy because the sophomore receiver was expected to miss spring practice after wrist surgery. But he was out there in a green non-contact jersey, albeit with a cast. But he caught passes, so it looks like he's going to try to practice over the next four weeks.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Ledger-Enquirer
- Isaiah Crowell was taking the first-team snaps at tailback, joined in order by Richard Samuel, Ken Malcome, Keith Marshall and Brandon Harton.
- For what it's worth ... and I'm not sure it's much, the first-team offensive line when we were out there was: LT Kenarious Gates, LG Kolton Houston, C David Andrews, RG Chris Burnette, RT Watts Dantzler. JUCO transfer Mark Beard was working second-team LT.
- Two offensive linemen were in green: Tackle Zach DeBell and tackle Xzavier Ward.
- John Thomas, the team's new associate strength and conditioning coordinator, was on the field, hanging out near Joe Tereshinski. They were working with Sterling Bailey, the outside linebacker who is still dealing with a foot injury.
- And finally, today's little moment that may matter only to me: Receiver Rantavious Wooten had to take off a piece of jewelry, so he did so and proceeded to hand it off to Richt, who put it in his back pocket. Who says Richt isn't a micromanager?