Bulldogs Blog

Regarding the NFL supplemental draft

ATHENS - Should Bacarri Rambo lose his appeal of a four-game suspension, entering the NFL supplemental draft has been brought up as an option.

But it's not clear that's actually an option.

The NFL doesn't have a firm set of guidelines on the eligibility of college players who are suspended. But it doesn't encourage them to use it as an avenue around the regular draft.

Recall last year, when ex-Ohio State QB Terrelle Pryor entered the draft after being suspended the first five games of the college season. The NFL let him in, but only after he met with commissioner Roger Goodell, who then suspended him the first five games of the NFL season.

I checked on Friday morning with NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, who put it this way:

"Each case is judged individually based on the specific set of facts. The supplemental draft is not a way to get around the regular draft. It is only for special circumstances. Hope this helps."

Last year Georgia's Caleb King entered the draft (and wasn't selected). But King was academically ineligible for his entire year. He had no other avenue to play football. Rambo, on the other hand, would still be able to play eight regular-season games and a postseason, even if his suspension is upheld.

Rambo hasn't said he's considering the draft - he hasn't said anything yet - and his high school coach downplayed the possibility. Once he looks into it further, he may drop the idea altogether.

  Comments