ATHENS - As you may recall from last week, Georgia and Clemson had been in contact over the possibility their football series may have to be canceled. Clemson has to deal with a nine-game ACC schedule in the near future, which meant there may not be room to open the 2013 and 2014 seasons against Georgia, as planned.
Clemson is now a bit more optimistic about the series. Athletics director Terry Don Phillips on Friday told 790 AM in Atlanta, on a show co-hosted by Tony Barnhart and Wes Durham, that he thinks the series will go on as planned. I didn't hear the broadcast, but I checked with Clemson for clarification, and this is what spokesman Tim Bourret passed on:
"He told Tony Barnhart, 'He expects that both games will be played.' But not set enough to make an announcement yet."
For his part, Georgia athletics director Greg McGarity said there was "no update on our end."
It's unclear what movement may have occurred on Clemson's end. The ACC is still in kind of a holding pattern, waiting to find out when Syracuse and Pittsburgh join the league. That isn't officially supposed to happen until 2014, but reports have been that both schools and the Big East were working to make it 2013.
But for whatever reason, Phillips is singing a slightly different tune than he was last week.
*** UPDATE ***
Phillips went even further in separate interviews later on Friday.
"Bottom line is this - we are going to play Georgia," Phillips said, acording to Tigernet.com. "I can't tell you how we are going to put all the pieces together, but we are going to play Georgia in 2013 here and in 2014 we are going to Athens. We are committed to the Georgia series."
So that appears to be that.