ATHENS - We just returned from Sanford Stadium, where Georgia is holding its first scrimmage of the spring this morning. We media types were booted from the premises after a few minutes of taking roll and watching field goal/extra point simulations. And I get the feeling we weren't supposed to see that. Whoops.
I'll update this space after the scrimmage, when we will be provided stats, and will have interviews with players and Mark Richt.
Interestingly, or perhaps it's not, Richt wasn't supposed to speak with us today. Or at least he wasn't going to after Thursday, when at the media's request they flipped the availability: Richt on Thursday, and players on Saturday. Now Richt is set to speak again on Saturday. This may be just to provide us scrimmage insights, or perhaps he has something more to say amid all the hullabaloo of this week.
I suspect it's just the former. But whatever Richt has to say, we'll update it here.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Not much to report from the portion of the scrimmage we did see:
- Nose tackle John Jenkins was back out there, after missing both practices this week with academics.
- Field goals are being kicked by walk-ons Jamie Lindley and Adam Erickson. One would hold while the other would kick, and then they would switch. Remember, place-kicker Marshall Morgan is coming in the fall and will be the favorite to be the starter.
- Receiver Chris Conley (wrist) is sitting out the scrimmage. Conley has been limited the first two weeks of practice, and it looks like the team isn't taking any chances with him.
- Ray Drew was working out on the side, as if he were dealing with a minor injury. But the defensive end was in a regular jersey so whatever it is it didn't appear serious.
- Freshmen offensive linemen Xzaver Ward and Zach DeBell are still in non-contact jerseys.
- I didn't notice any other prominent missing players, other than Derrick Lott, who has opted to transfer.
UPDATE: Backup safety Marc Deas has also elected to transfer.
Richt emphasized that Deas and Lott were only leaving because of playing time, and were not facing discipline issues.
Scrimmage stats, according to official statistician Richt:
Aaron Murray: 9-18, 1 pick, 74 yards
Hutson Mason: 5-12, 59 yards, TDE
Christian LeMay: 2-7, 1 pick, 44 yards
Parker Welch: 2-6, 2 yards
Greg Bingham: 0-1
Brandon Harton: 8-24
Kyle Karempelis: 8-22
Keith Marshall: 5-18
Isaiah Crowell: 4-19
Ken Malcome: 4-13
Taylor Bradberry: 4-14
Justin Scott-Wesley: 3-51
Arthur Lynch: 3-17
Marlon Brown: 2-17
Tavarres King: 3-21
Jay Rome: 1-30, TD
Malcolm Mitchell: 1-20
Ken Malcome: 2-TD
Isaiah Crowell: 1 yard TD
Parker Welch to Jay Rome for an acrobatic TD catch
Branden Smith 17-yard punt return
Shawn Williams: 2 PD, 4.5 tackles, 1 pick for 34 yards
Ray Drew: 4 tackles
Branden Smith: 4 tackles
Mike Thornton: 3.5 tackles, 3 sacks
Chase Vasser: 3.5 tackles, 2 sacks
Bacarri Rambo: 3 tackles
Jarvis Jones: 3 tackles, 2 sacks
Alec Ogletree: 3 tackles 0.5 sack
Malcolm Mitchell: 3 tackles, 1 TFL
Darius Swann: 3 tackles, 1 sack
Sanders Commings: 3 tackles, 1 TFL
Mike Gilliard: INT for 2 yards
Garrison Smith: 1 sack
Kwame Geathers: 0.5 sack