Some Phenix City municipal employees received a boost in their annual salaries during a pay scale adjustment conducted in October.
The adjustments were based on a market salary analysis conducted by Dr. James Buford of Ellis-Harper Management, located in Auburn, Ala.
“These pay studies are completed every three years by an external consultation firm and pay scale adjustments are handled according to the findings of the market study,” wrote Phenix City Human Resource Director Stephanie Chastain in an email to the Ledger-Enquirer. “ ... The market study compares positions in the surrounding area (Columbus as well as Auburn/Opelika) for both private and public employers. ...Of course some positions are unique to the public sector only (i.e. police officer), while others are found in both the public and private sectors (i.e. mechanics, customer service reps, etc.)”
Last week, the city released a complete list of annual salaries to the Ledger-Enquirer in response to an open records request. The list is current as of Dec. 2.
Never miss a local story.
As a result of the pay scale adjustment, the city’s Top 10 salary earners were among those to receive raises. The adjustments were as follows:
▪ City Manager/Public Safety Director Wallace Hunter, from $163,511 to $166,798
▪ City Engineer/Director of Engineering and Public Works Angel Moore, from $130,642 to $137,648
▪ Assistant City Manager/UT Director Stephen Smith, from $110,762 to $137,648
▪ Police Chief Raymond Smith, from $100,909 to $102,937
▪ Finance Director Labrita King Copeland, from $84,493 (as interim financial director) to $101,400 (as director)
▪ Fire Chief Kristin Kennedy, from $96,103 to $98,035
▪ Chief Building Official Gil Griffith, from $86,493 to $88,231
▪ Human Resources Director Stephanie Lane Chastain, from $84,090 to $85,780
▪ Michael Pattillo, assistant director of engineering, from $81,688 to $83,330.
▪ City Clerk Charlotte Goodrich, from $80,850 to $82,475
Mayor Eddie Lowe, not among the Top 10, didn’t see a pay increase. His annual salary remains at $35,000.