Crime

Columbus man dies days before Christmas after being shot multiple times on Dec. 15

A Columbus man wounded in a Dec. 15 shooting died Monday in the hospital, authorities said.

Albert J. Ford, 33, was pronounced dead at 8:57 a.m. at Piedmont Columbus Regional, said Muscogee County Deputy Coroner Charles Newton.

Ford died from multiple gunshot wounds sustained Dec. 15 at 915 23rd St. in Columbus, Newton said.

Ford arrived at the hospital at 1:37 a.m. that night, went into surgery and then into intensive care, according to coroner reports. He had been assigned to a room before dying suddenly, records show.

His body will be sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab for an autopsy.

The neighborhood where he was shot is in the Rose Hill area east of Hamilton Road.

Police on Monday afternoon had no additional details on Ford’s shooting. Anyone with more information is asked to call detectives at 706-653-3400.

Ford’s death marked Columbus’ 39th homicide of 2019. The toll rose to 40 around noon Monday when a man was shot dead at a store on Cusseta Road.

Read Next

This story was originally published December 23, 2019 at 3:50 PM.

Tim Chitwood
Columbus Ledger-Enquirer
Tim Chitwood is from Seale, Alabama, and started as a police beat reporter with the Ledger-Enquirer in 1982. He since has covered Columbus’ serial killings and other homicides, following some from the scene of the crime to trial verdicts and ensuing appeals. He also has been a Ledger-Enquirer humor columnist since 1987. He’s a graduate of Auburn University, and started out working for the weekly Phenix Citizen in Phenix City, Ala.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER