Central High School senior A’montae Spivey will play college football in the SEC.
The standout running back on the Red Devils’ Alabama Class 7A state championship team signed with Arkansas Wednesday on National Signing Day.
As do many recruits on Signing Day, Spivey teased the audience before announcing his choice. He brought a bag to the podium and said the decision was hard but he had to do what was best for himself. Then he pulled out an Arkansas hat, and supporters in the Central gym exploded with cheers and applause.
Spivey, rated as a three-star running back and No. 30 overall in 247Sports’ rankings of the top 2019 recruits in Alabama, announced on Twitter in August his verbal commitment to Arkansas. In July, Spivey narrowed his top five choices to Arkansas, Missouri, Purdue, Louisiana-Lafayette and LSU.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Ledger-Enquirer
As a senior, Spivey was a Ledger-Enquirer All-Bi-City first-team selection after rushing for 1,328 yards and 19 touchdowns on 178 carries as the Red Devils went undefeated (14-0) in 2018. He also caught 13 passes for 166 yards, and he returned three kickoffs for 116 yards and one touchdown.
Spivey is the third member of Central’s senior class to sign with a Power 5 football program. During the early signing period in December, four-star quarterback Peter Parrish (the No. 11 recruit in Alabama, according to 247Sports), signed with LSU and three-star safety Ray Thornton (the No. 22 recruit in Alabama, according to 247Sports), signed with Clemson.
Central’s other signees
Seventeen other Red Devils signed football scholarships Wednesday:
▪ Alabama A&M: linebacker/strong safety Xavier Billingsley.
▪ Alabama-Birmingham: equipment manager Jeb Bowman.
▪ Berry College: tight end Tommy Vickers.
▪ Georgia State: linebacker Martaveous Caple, wide receiver Drake Holloway (preferred walk-on).
▪ Huntingdon College: kicker/punter Zach Johnson.
▪ Independence Community College: cornerback Damon Jones, linebacker Wallace Melton, defensive lineman Bernard Miles, linebacker Trevon Miller, offensive tackle Ivan Smith, wide receiver Deonte Williams.
▪ Jacksonville State: strong safety/outside linebacker Marquez Henry.
▪ North Alabama: cornerback/wide receiver Camyen Feagins.
▪ Point University: defensive lineman Sedrick Alexander
▪ Troy University: equipment manager Sheldon Hickman.
▪ West Georgia: free safety Devonte Mathews.
Columbus High had four football players sign scholarships Wednesday:
▪ Kennesaw State: linebacker Joshua Scarbrough.
▪ Navy: defensive back Jordan Geter.
▪ Presbyterian College: wide receiver Ian Rome.
▪ Wingate University: running back Ethan Kinder.
Northside had eight student athletes in various sports sign scholarships Wednesday:
▪ Mercer football: Fred Davis, Mercer University, football.
▪ Jacksonville football: Jimmy Randazza.
▪ Birmingham Southern football: Will Keller
▪ LaGrange College football: Trey Anthony.
▪ Gordon State softball: Sammie Cotton.
▪ Andrew College softball: Kaitlyn Carson.
▪ West Florida cross country: Jack Forbes.
▪ Agnes Scott volleyball: Caroline Irvin.
Pacelli quarterback/wide receiver Jacob Anderson signed Wednesday with LaGrange College.
Ledger-Enquirer photographer Miranda Daniels contributed to this report.
Mark Rice, 706-576-6272, @MarkRiceLE.