Coroner: Report on how many times Redwine was shot by officer to take months

Christian Andrew Redwine
Christian Andrew Redwine

Three days after a 17-year-old was shot by a Columbus police officer following a two-state car chase, Russell County Coroner Arthur Sumbry Jr. said the full autopsy report is expected to be released in about two months.

Sumbry said the Department of Forensic Sciences in Montgomery completed the autopsy on Christian Andrew Redwine’s body on Monday, and the initial report should be available later this week or early the next.

That preliminary report will indicate whether Redwine was shot once or multiple times, and the final report will list exactly how many times he was struck, the coroner stated.

Sumbry said it’s unclear when the results of the full report will be available.

“Normally those take a couple of months,” he said. “I rely on the autopsy reports, once I get them, to confirm everything.”

According to multiple sources familiar with the incident, Columbus police were following a silver Pontiac G-6 on Gentian and Reese roads near Columbus State University’s main campus when they confirmed that the car had been reported stolen.

Authorities initiated a traffic stop near that point around 4:30 a.m., when the stolen vehicle allegedly accelerated. The chase went into downtown Columbus where the driver of the Pontiac, identified as Redwine, crossed the 13th Street bridge into Alabama.

Officials identified the passengers in the Pontiac as Hunter Tillis, 18, and Hannah Wuenschel, 19.

Columbus Police Chief Ricky Boren said Phenix City police joined the car chase. Officers with both agencies pursued the vehicle, turning right onto Opelika Road, Smith said. The car got on U.S. 80, then U.S. 280 and headed back toward Columbus.

“At that point, our guys broke off the chase because we thought it was going back to Columbus,” Phenix City Police Chief Ray Smith said.

Boren said Redwine exited at Riverchase Drive, the last Alabama exit before the state line. The Pontiac went off the road at Riverchase Drive.

Columbus Police Officer 1st Class Allan Brown, who had seen the car exit on Riverchase, got out of his vehicle and encountered three suspects, according to a report. He fired an unknown number of shots from his weapon, police said.

Sumbry said Redwine was pronounced dead on the scene at 12:09 p.m.

Tillis and Wuenschel were transported to the Midtown Medical Center in Columbus to be treated for gunshot wounds. Records indicate Tillis sustained a gunshot wound to the mouth and Wuenschel had at least one gunshot wound to the arm.

Nancy Sorrells, Redwine’s maternal grandmother, said Wuenschel told her in the hospital that she was shot about three times and Redwine was shot seven. Officials have yet to confirm.

Tillis and Wuenschel were taken into custody at the hospital Monday afternoon and charged with theft by taking motor vehicle. She has an additional charge of reckless abandonment, which she is set to face at 8 a.m. Thursday in Columbus Recorder’s Court.

Tillis posted bond on Monday.

Staff writer Chuck Williams contributed to this report.